Ok so this is for you data freaks. So I blogged about turning into a hacker last week and I think it related well with many people. I had about 10,000 views to my blog within a 2 day period. So I thought it might be interesting to share the details of the HN effect. I posted to HN at about midnight on 03/03/11 GMT+8.
So roughly 2 hours into my blog post, I was in 4th position on the homepage. This translates into the following views:
So what can we learn from this?
- A lot of people out there want to be hackers 🙂
- To get to the homepage, you need the following ingredients
- Submit your blog post at 00:00 GMT +8 on a Thursday
- You need to get 23 upvotes, 21 comments and roughly 1200 inbound clicks to make it to the homepage of Hacker News
- You need to get all these within a 2 hour time frame
Of course these numbers are relative to the popularity of other news for that day. But I think this gives a rough idea to the order of magnitudes that is required to make it to the homepage.
By the next day, I was still on the frontpage but below the fold (27th position I think). I didn’t take a screenshot of that but I had I think 4-5k page views by then. I stopped tracking my position on HN shortly after.
This is how the final numbers look like: